Monday, October 10, 2005

censor vs natural

Down with cramps, muscle pull on my left thigh and a seriously bad sore throat... At least the first one had gone away.

I have no idea why people always say having a sore throat gives you a sexy voice, because I'm so not feeling sexy. I can't speak properly, I can't sleep properly, and there's a constant pain whenever I swallow. My voice comes out in a mere whisper, and if I try to raise it, the throat hurts. Argh. But it is a good excuse not to talk to people, especially when I don't feel like it. :) Like if my parents were to ask how's my day, I could just give monosyllabic answers and get away with it. :P Heh heh.

A thought appeared in my mind yesterday. How do I reconcile the fact of being myself without offending people? Let's say if I am by nature candid, so things that I say might not have been thoroughly processed before it comes out, or things that I do might just be totally natural, and in the process, might make people feel uncomfortable. Do I just remain silent in future, or censor my words? Do I have to do constant checks on my actions to ensure they are in tandem with the crowd? Is this portrayal any less of myself? Am I shortchanging others, or worse, shortchanging myself?

Conforming to the social circumstances one is put in would be the easiest solution, but not the best. I'm still at odds with this issue.