Sunday, December 31, 2006

the earth turns

It's the annual winding down of yet another year. Somehow, as I grow older, the coming of a new year doesn't seem to excite me as much. To further unromanticise it, it's simply another beginning of a revolution of the earth. But I guess it's timely to take stock of your life once in a while, and seeing how most people don't do it on a regular basis, the year-end serves as an appropriate rest-point to do so. What has this year done for me? In many respects I've changed and grown a lot, especially in the later parts of the year. I know I've said this before, but I still can't get over how I've come to discover that inner talent in me to be able to turn black into white and possibly back to black again. With the amount of writing I had to do, this semester's modules have really honed my skills which are to be my ricebowl when I begin legal work. It's simply frightful to think that I can actually argue without morals, or convince myself with a snap of my fingers that this viewpoint is right or that opinion is correct. As a result, I found myself increasingly intolerant of divergent viewpoints simply because I see their loopholes too easily. Sigh. It's an occupational hazard, one that could potentially put my inherent character at stake and change the face of serena forever. I guess I can only pray for the wisdom to balance my newfound skills with the clarity of the spirit and the soul so that I will use them for good, heh.

What else? I've climbed out of the cocoon I've spunned around myself and interacted more with my law friends, with the help of some closer ones. And yes, I've come to enjoy their wit, laughter and company immensely. I found a renewed love for reading and have grown closer to God through some of the books I've read. It's amazing how the peace and joy of God can give one so much security. I've also become bolder in what I think. In the past, I used not to voice out my opinions because I was afraid that people would laugh at me or that I would be the only one thinking in that way, and hence wrong. But I guess age gives one the all-powerful thick-skinnedness to challenge settled views, tear down traditions and lay new foundations for which radical concepts are to built on. The discovery of the power of being an individual is mind-blowing. I guess I've always known that this power exists, but I never really dared to exercise it until now. I'm not too sure what I am going to do with this power as yet, but at least I have sufficient courage to wield it now.

Happy new year; it's been a happy year. :)