Monday, December 18, 2006

hainan island

Just returned from hainan island, and it's been quite an experiential trip. I saw my nanny who took care of me when I was younger (she still recognises me!), learnt more about my mom's side of the family tree, spoke a little hainanese, experienced city life and the hellish driving of taxi drivers, understood the common attitude of the chinese is to defend themselves, ate interesting food and of course, shopped like mad as things there are so fantastically cheap!

The famous hainanese chicken from wenchang. Skin is thick, but the meat is tough and chewy. It's the sauce that makes all the difference! Soy sauce, garlic, lime, chilli, vinegar all put together. Yum.

We ate tim sum for every breakfast! This was one of my favourite ha kaos. The prawns are so big and many and fresh!


Went to a seaside restaurant for one of the lunches. Supremely fresh prawns. My cousin and I peeled and ate the most! It's just so tantalisingly sweet. :)

One of the more exotic dishes we tried. Duck's tongue. ;) They fried it and salted it so much that it didn't taste much different from any other fried dish, except that the "meat" was chewy and there was a cartilage in it soft enough to bite and eat.