Sunday, November 26, 2006

food break

It was only after tackling last year's papers that I realised how little I actually knew. Sigh. The panic sanked in as I desperately tried to write out a mock answer to see whether I could actually handle those dreaded questions. It was quite a rude awakening, but maybe I should be thankful that it happened now instead of on the day itself.

Last night's dinner was an authentically sinful teochew fare. I do not know the exact name of the place but the restaurant was along mosque street. If you're facing the main chinatown road, it is on the left side. I've never mentioned this but I really like the atmosphere that chinatown gives me. Walking down those old lanes with ancient shophouses lining each side of the street brings to mind images of the past where people hawker their food and wares in traditional noisy fashion. Walking down chinatown lets me soak in the days of old and put myself in my ancestors' footsteps.

We ordered fantastic food - goose meat (dipped in black sauce type), cold pork (man, it was so tasty!), fried pig's intestines (sinfully good...) and a plate of xiao bai cai (which was stir-fried to perfection). My parents ordered teochew porridge while I stuck with white rice, although on hindsight I should have ordered the porridge too because it smelt so fresh that even not being a huge fan of porridge, I had to succumb to the aroma and asked my mom to let me have a taste of it. And true to its smell, the watery porridge was delightfully sweet. For dessert, it was my favourite orh-ni (yam paste). I've always liked yam but this orh-ni has taken the taste to a whole new level. The dinner has undoubtedly refuelled my energy, heh.


This orh-ni was taken with a 1.3 mega-pixel phone, so it may not look as delicious as it ought to, but trust me, the taste was authentically heavenly. :) Ginko nuts and pumpkin complemented the taste. And if what I hear is true, the shiny liquid is apparently pure lard. Sigh. Good-tasting food always comes with a trade-off.