Saturday, November 25, 2006

thoughts

It's been an observable phenomenon each time this period of semester swings by, but I always forget that productivity levels really dip without a proper break. As it is, I've holed myself up at home for the entire week, only going out for my regular jogs. That is how bad I'm having it. And it only hit me today that I felt so sick and tired of studying that if I don't put something savoury or sweet in my mouth soon, I'm gonna collapse from the sheer fatigue of my brain. With that in mind, I had already arranged a dinner out with my parents later. Hopefully we go someplace nice. :) In fact, even hawker food sounds good to me now.

The thing about reading fantasy stories is that you cease to live in the real world. Your mind is constantly filled with the images described in the book and when you finally look up from it, the world seems to be of a different colour. I still see the practical side of having to handle my daily responsibilities, but my heart is no longer in it. The world suddenly seems temporal and you keep hoping for a world as beautiful as described in the book to appear soon. I wonder if this is healthy, but I feel happy, somehow.

I likened jogging to running the race of life. You know that you have a long way to go, and the only way to get there is to keep at a steady pace and maintain it. It's the sight of the end that motivates one to continually put one foot in front of the other. Only when nearing the end that you know you can pick up the pace. But life isn't entirely like that. You don't know where the end is. It is usually estimated to be around 80 years, but who knows, it could very well be tomorrow. As such, the only way to run the race of life is to keep steadily at a comfortable pace for as long as possible for the rest of your life. Once in a while, you see others overtake you, and an instinctive competitive streak may tempt you to keep up with that faster pace, but if you really know yourself and your limits, then you just got to hold back that temptation and continue with your own pace. Because if you run faster, you will only burn out easily and not reach your goal in the end. Better the slow and steady runner who reaches his end, than a fast one who burns out quickly achieving nothing. I don't think God wants us to run a fast race; He just wants us to run a good race.