Friday, November 17, 2006

to the unreached

Friend: not studying? haha
Me: haha am. but forgot to put busy
Me: actually just propping up my notes
Friend: orh ok
Friend: buy a stand for them
Me: ......

It's been relatively fruitful, and the way I'm taking it is highly worrying. I'm ahead of my schedule so there's some breathing space, but I don't want to turn it into overconfidence and end up suffering badly for my arrogance. :(

Last tuesday, I was invited to a friend's place to help out in an outreach to her neighbour's construction workers. It was the first I had heard of such generosity and loving attitude. She also invited a korean pastor and his family, and two indian friends who helped in delivering the gospel and translation. Being naturally shy around strangers, I was initially apprehensive about how I was to behave. But surprisingly, I enjoyed myself immensely. I loved talking to the korean family (especially the korean wife) about their missions work in cape town and how they appreciated the security and good government that singapore has. When I informed the wife the constant lament singaporeans have of their government, she said that it was only because they had not been to the other side, the dangerous parts of the world where crime is rampant and everyone carries a gun, that they are blind to the little things that make living in singapore so wonderful. Interestingly, it's been the same sentiment I've been receiving each time I engage with foreigners. Are we really that blind?

I also learnt more about the korean culture. It's different learning from books and through people. I learnt that the south are still banned from travelling to the north, that kimchi is a must-have at every meal, that dog meat is a delicacy but only specially-bred dogs can be eaten, and that "kim sam soon" means third daughter with the connotation of having no luck in getting a son.

The night went well. Food was excellent. The company was chatty and cheerful, and my inhibition was gradually shed. I wonder how the construction workers responded though. I wonder what my response would be if I were in their position.