Tuesday, October 11, 2005

dreads of staying home

Experiencing the symptoms of not having company...

My time-table is the envy of most people. With only 3 days of school per week and attending only 1-2 hours of lessons on 2 of the days, people are clamouring to be in my position. And at first, I did feel very lucky. What with schooling people dying for holidays and working people desperately wishing for more leave, I'm having the best of both worlds - schooling and "holidaying" contemporaneously (I must try to use the words that I learn more often).

But having experienced this kind of lifestyle for almost 9 weeks now, I realised it is not as glamourous as it is made out to be. Perhaps the biggest drawback is the lack of being around people. It's not like I'm hanging out in Orchard, watching movies or sipping coffee with friends on my free days. I'm still holed up at home, mugging every waking hour just to prepare for the next tutorial (yes, mountains of notes just for one stupid tutorial). And as I study alone more and more often, I can feel the increasing impact it has on me. On one hand, while I still need the company of people (catch up with old friends, or meet new people), yet on the other, I don't feel like going out anymore (because of the great inertia of just staying put at home). This giant paradox is killing me. Presently, stepping out of the house and just MEETING people is like stepping into civilisation...

Hopefully all these will pass soon enough when the semester is over.