Tuesday, January 24, 2006

experiencing yourself

A short article in the newspapers today reported that according to some mathematician, he calculated that Monday, 23 Jan would be the gloomiest day of this year. I don't know about gloomiest, but it certainly held some element of truth for me.

Independence and stability had always worked well for me. Never had I to worry about how I am going to feel the next moment, or whether this is the right thing to say or do. I was just living my life by myself, for myself. The presence of a wanted figure in my life ruins me. The irony of it all.

An interesting discovery. I realised that in Singapore, all those who come from the prestigious schools have one thing in common: absolute pride in themselves (although this is not exclusive to them). Their values and perceptions of the world may differ, but the similarity of their personalities is just so striking. Competitive, subtle boasting through joking means, swift defence when being attacked on their opinions albeit masked well by the reason that it's merely an exchange of ideas, constant criticism...

When two people are so similar, it's like looking at yourself from an objective perspective and recognising all the flaws already present in you.