Wednesday, January 11, 2006

fools for christ

If there's anything I've learnt from the car accident, it's that being fools for Christ is painful.

As I reflect upon the car accident and the ensuing debate about what I should have done, I realised that this is only a foretaste of what to expect when I enter the working world with non-christians. It is really hard to stand firm in what you believe, and actually carry it out knowing that there are severe consequences to be suffered.

Take this situation for instance. It's not so much the accident that infuriated my parents, but more of the way I handled it. My father was angry that I simply allowed the woman to talk me into letting her go to her car mechanic for repairs instead of settling there and then, especially since my eyes told me that there was only a minor scratch. My mom was angry that I admitted liability and "offered" to compensate for all damages; she insisted that we should have outwardly deny any fault. At that point in time, I thought to myself, how unchristian-like all these behaviours were. Why can't I just do the right thing by just being absolutely reasonable, allowing the woman the peace of mind by going to her car mechanic, and if there is really anything wrong, just pay. After all, it was just a scratch, how expensive can the repairs be?

But I realised now that my parents were right; they do know better. They've been around longer and are worldly-wise. They know how people who are out to take advantage of you operate. They know that going to car repairs will always cost more than what the eye can see. And rightly so. The cost came up to be $2500. It's painful, really, even though it is the insurance paying. I called my mom after I knew the amount, and as expected, she was in a fit, wanting to contest the damages. I called my dad shortly after, expecting the same reaction. But what I heard surprised me beyond my mind could possibly imagined; he was actually calm, but his voice had a tinge of resignation and disappointment in me. My mom had told him the amount before I called him, so I guess he was more or less prepared when I called. But still, the voice that I heard over the phone sounded so unlike him. He just simply said in a quiet tone, "I told you this type of thing is not going to be cheap." When I heard him say that, my heart just broke and I silently teared over the phone. I felt like such an utter disappointment to him, not listening to what his wisdom says and insisting that I did the right thing; and now my parents are paying for what was essentially my fault.

I do wonder, was I right in insisting on being reasonable and admitting my fault, and doing what I thought was the christian way of doing things? Or should I have done the worldly-wise way of denying all liability and escape with just paying $200? The notion of being "fools for Christ" becomes more evident as I face the perils of having to deal with such situations in future. It's a toss-up between being christian but called dumb, or being shrewd but being called unchristian-like. It particularly hurts me more in this respect since it is my parents (and not just outsiders) who are the ones calling me dumb for acting the way I did, reasonable as it may be. And having them prove me right with the exorbitant costs is just not helping me in my stand for my handling of the situation. Right now, my father's understanding tone is just killing me in the most silent way imagainable.

Honour your father and mother, Exodus 20:12.