Thursday, January 05, 2006

different light

Finally, finally. Decided to wake up early today, so that I will be more motivated to pluck my lazy butt out of the couch and head down to school to prepare for the coming week. For the past two days, I've been telling myself that I must go to school and collect my notes, but I always wake up late, which leads to lazing around reading newspapers and watching tv. Then comes my deliciously-long afternoon naps coupled with the dreadful downpours, hence the magnetic force of home. :( But today was a day of resolution! Yes! Collected my notes, bought my files and lunch.

Seriously, sometimes beneath cute apperances lies a character even stronger than one can ever imagined. I've always thought my dog was a nice, simple golden retriever who is absolutely harmless and does nothing except to look at you helplessly with those huge puppy eyes of his whenever he sees food, and lets you feel all guilty for not sharing your portion with him. :) But today has completely changed my perspective of him.

Initially he ran out of the house in his usual playful manner, so I had to go get him. While walking back to my house, he saw that my neighbour's gate was opened. And my neighbour's dog is apparently his "nemesis" in some strange way, so the moment my neighbour's dog saw him, he came out and both of them had a brief staring competition. Then my dog became bolder and ran into the house, and even urinated on some of the neighbour's pots! I was utterly embarrassed, especially since the owner of the house was just there. Sigh. I guessed the other dog could not take my dog claiming ownership on his property that he suddenly attacked my dog. And what enruptured was a vicious exchange of teeth-baring and ferocious gnawing at each other's necks. I've never seen my dog bare his teeth so savagely before. It was quite a shocker, really. I tried to pull my dog away, but it only served to worsen the situation, or so I was told by the neighbours. In the end, I just let them fight till they're happy. Apparently, my dog "won" coz I saw him "sitting" on the tailend of the other dog. But even so, I had to literally drag him out of the neighbour's house as he appeared reluctant to leave. Sigh. When I got home, I saw slight bleeding around his ear, and my heart pained. Took a piece of wet tissue and dried the blood off.

It will be difficult to see him in the cute light that he always portrays himself again, especially after what I've seen he's truly capable of. It only takes one incident to destroy an entire image.