Sunday, October 08, 2006

the deal about alcohol

My low threshold for alcohol is actually an advantage, heh.

It only takes a glass of wine for me to feel sleepy, to lose control of my limbs and put me in an ebriated state. This afternoon while having lunch with my parents, my dad poured a glass of white wine for himself which my mom bought from hong kong. And recalling the exuberant feeling I had after a glass of wine on thursday night, I asked him to pour me a glass too. So as usual after lunch, we just sat around and took out mooncakes and cheese as an after-meal snack/dessert. Perhaps because I was already feeling sleepy from last night's activities, coupled with the quick downing of alcohol, that when I wanted to reach out to take the cheese, I accidently knocked over my glass and it broke! I felt the slight loss of control of my limbs when I reached out for the cheese; my hands were not following the directions my brain was giving it. And as I witnessed the fall, my brain was telling me to "catch it quick!", but somehow I couldn't move fast enough to do so. And even after the fall, it took me about two seconds before I went, "oh." I mean, internally, I was feeling, "oh no! oh dear..." but I didn't have the energy to express it. And immediately my father said, "you're drunk already." Haha. I guess he noticed how slow my overall reaction towards the incident was as compared normally. And he cautioned me once again never to drink and drive because the effect of alcohol on you can be so subtle.

Interestingly, I feel so tired and sleepy now that I have no energy to feel stressed. I'm still worried about my work and all, but the overwhelming fatigue is just forcing the stress away, heh. But I do feel, in some way, a little more relaxed when tackling my work. So maybe it's good to have a glass once in a while when stress sets in, heh. Better than cakes or ice-cream eh, which only provides temporary glucose surge.