Wednesday, March 14, 2007

bowled over

The speaker for today's corporate crime lesson was by far the best I've ever heard.

The topic was on corruption, and the man who spoke was a young chap at 37 and already the Head of Intelligence of the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB). He started off by saying that he graduated from an economics background, dabbled in advertising thereafter for about 3 months before moving into the CPIB and has been there ever since. What impressed me the most was the way he so naturally and earnestly engaged the class. He didn't use very profound English; in fact, he spoke Singaporean english, peppered with occasional hokkien and chinese phrases. And instead of the word "have", he used "got" quite often, for example, "The CPIB got a few cases at hand..." I have to admit that I found it quite jarring at the beginning, having been used to listening to grammatically correct english for so long. But his passion for eradicating crime and complete honesty simply won me over. Never have I seen anyone put so much thought and conviction into his words. Like my friend said, "After hearing politically correct answers from [a certain high court judge] this morning, his answers are such a welcome relief and so refreshing!" Because, really, he speaks straight from his heart. Regardless of any antagonistic questions thrown at him, he simply answered them with his honest opinion, saying that he recognised these problems exist and he wished there's more he or his department could do, but there isn't. He doesn't try to gloss the issue nor become defensive. He was just being his honest, true and natural self. Very seldom do you come across such people, and for someone who was preparing to read her own notes during the talk, I didn't look at them the entire 2 1/2 hours. My eyes and my thoughts were solely concentrated on him during the entire period, and that's rare.

Truly, a wonderful person to know and befriend (if I could). He's one of those few persons you just can't help but like. I give him my utmost respect.