Sunday, February 25, 2007

mind over matter

my afternoon nap dreams are becoming more and more intense. take just now. i dreamt that i was back in my secondary school and playing around in the common area. my sister was there too, and in an untypical fashion she whacked my head with a hard, plastic waterbottle. those colourful ones that we used to carry when we were much younger. i felt the blow went right through my head, the wind was literally sucked out of me. suddenly everywhere became fainter and fainter. i struggled to stand, but eventually caved in to the weakness of my limbs and staggered abruptly to the ground. it was like a fainting spell. with my barely-there sight, i made out two security guards rushing forward, with utmost concern written all over their faces. one of them held me by my armpits and hoisted me to my feet, and slowly walked me to the canteen. i remembered lumbering my way to the canteen chairs, all the time feeling groggy and weak, and silently cursing my sis for behaving in such a rough manner. anyhow, the rest of the dream was spent just sitting in the canteen and recovering from the blow. i could very well imagined that if i had not suffered such a severe throbbing in my dream, i would have woken up much sooner. but because of the extreme realness of the pain, i felt my body telling my mind that i had to continue sleeping in order for me to fully recover, even though i somehow knew that the pain wasn't real. it's a classic case of mind over body, albeit the wrong way round.