Thursday, February 22, 2007

memories

one of the best ways to recollect memories is by reading emails, and the only way you can do so is by having an account as large as gmail's. i like reading what i wrote (it gives me a sense of the kind of person i was at that stage of my life or the frame of mind i was in when i was composing those emails), so i zoomed in on the 'sent mail' and selected interesting conversations to read. faces, voices, laughter, smells slowly flowed back to me. i literally spent my entire evening just staring into space, reminiscing the carefree days of youth, recalling more difficult times, and finally wondering whether and how all these experiences make up who i am today. are we really the sum of our past? i don't know. i've always prided myself in being able to sift the positive from the negative, and being affected is a choice in itself. but perhaps this constant sieving has become such an integral part of me only because of the existence of such experiences.