Thursday, February 15, 2007

for the love of humanity

haven't had a free day to myself for a long time... better start getting used to it, sigh.

I'm currently doing a paper on fraud, and the topic I've chosen to do is on insurance fraud. Having found a dearth of materials in the law library, I had no choice but to head down to the Hon Sui Sen Memorial library located at the Business School (which is now all the way at kent ridge) to source out for more material. They certainly have interesting books that take a different perspective. While the materials in the law library focused mainly on how the insureds/claimants try to cheat the insurance company by filing false or exaggerated claims, the books in the business library drew upon the unscrupulous methods which the insurance companies employ NOT to pay legitimate claims. This particular book written by Ray Bourhis, an American lawyer, illustrates a compelling story of how a woman who, disabled by a sharp pain beneath her elbow and could no longer practice chiropractic, was denied her rightful benefits for the reason that she was not entirely disabled because she could still do book-keeping. Sigh. Sometimes these stories really show how words in any context can be twisted and manipulated to the meaning you want. The compassionate spirit that supposedly pervades all humanity has been destroyed, all in the name of profits.

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly), the study of law is basically the study of human behaviour. The cases I read just makes me wonder how such people can exist in the world (and further begs the question: are they really made in the image of God?) Sigh. I wonder if it's too naive of me to think right now that I will try to stand on the side of justice instead of the side of my clients (assuming these stands don't coincide). I wonder how much of myself I will lose when I begin practising. Will I continue to struggle doing the right thing, or will I gradually become weary and let myself be washed away with society's indoctrination?

I finally understand why being a christian and living in this world is so terribly heavy.