Wednesday, January 24, 2007

theorymaking

Truth is stranger than fiction. I think inherent in all of us is a desire to understand how the world moves, what makes it tick and why it is the way it is, in the past and now. It is my personal belief that it all boils down to the basic human nature. The world moves only because people move it. So to put things together, if we can only understand what human beings think and why, will we then be able to make sense of this world. Which is why I often have so many theories floating around in my head, frequently giving reasons (valid or otherwise) to humans' behaviour. I refuse to believe that anyone's behaviour is inherent. There must always be some obscure reason (be it childhood, parents' influence, peers, personal experiences) that leads to who the person is today. And as such, I try to "collect" as many experiences from different people as possible to form a hypothesis, and test it out to see if it works with new persons; if it doesn't, then I will find yet another reason and make it an exception (kinda like forming laws, you know). But I soon discover that the more I investigate, the more I begin to realise that humans are impossible to predict and is thus impossible to form a perfect hypothesis. There will always be someone who doesn't fall squarely into the category, someone whose behaviour is irrational, someone I can't find a reason for living. Perhaps it is an increasing realisation that every human is unique, and no one is possible to predict. Time changes everyone. Events change anyone. Maybe I should abandon my quest to seek the perfect rational human being - it doesn't exist.