Friday, October 14, 2005

travelling through the mind

I'm beginning to enjoy my Trade Dispute module very much. :)

For the uninitiated, this module covers trade dispute mechanisms and in particular, how disputes are being resolved in the WTO. There is also the discussion of the Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs), Regional Trade Agreements (RTAs) and Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) and how all these relationships between the different countries intertwine and relate with one another.

Today, for some strange reason, as I was listening to my tutor speak, I suddenly felt myself being transported to a different realm. My senses were starting to experience the different cultures of the world, being made aware of the individual needs that each country has, and how the countries (especially the developing ones) are struggling to make their voices heard. I'm seeing the world from a different light, seeing the countries not just as a nation which is sovereign and free, but as mere individuals like you and me striving to make the best decisions for the welfare of their citizens. The sensation was amazing. I felt like I was travelling around the world, visiting different countries, listening to each of their stories and their history, learning about their way of life which affect the decisions they make. For a brief moment, I forgot I was only in a classroom.