Saturday, March 25, 2006

bs and divorce

Just finished Mark 2 bible studies for the sec 1 girls tomorrow. Sigh. Preparing bible study should never be this last minute. It usually takes a lot of mental and spiritual preparation before one can launch into something as important and deep as this. Yet I thought that having done this book before in the young adults' group coupled with the experience gained from having led 3 bible studies before (of which one was on my own) could help me settle it in an hour. I estimated wrong. There's so much to consider. The kind of questions asked, the girls' level of understanding, whether the questions flow... It's tough, really. But at least it's done now.

The later part of family law has been concentrated on how matrimonial assets are divided upon the termination of marriage. And, as much as my tutor makes light of it, I somehow sense a tinge of bitterness when she approaches this topic. Rumour has it that she was divorced two years ago, and during that period when she was teaching the topic on divorce, she was very bitter. Understandably. I was reading the preface of her textbook and chanced upon her (ex-?)husband's name. To my utmost surprise, he's actually my thyroid doctor! So all the more I feel for the both of them when I know that what was once a happy marriage disintegrated into less than nothing. Sigh. Divorce is such a scary thought. Even after reading so many cases on it, it doesn't immunise me to the fact that divorce is painful and full of suffering. It becomes ugly when dirty linen is washed in public merely for the sake of obtaining what you think is rightfully yours. This is in addition to the emotional trauma both spouses must be going through. It's extremely heartbreaking.