Tuesday, September 12, 2006

here to stay

Finally, for the first time, a normal week of school. No rushing around attending lessons of all sorts, no straddling between the classrooms and admin block, waiting on tenterhooks for an answer, any answer in fact. It's just going to be pure hardwork from now on, something which I (ironically) revel in at the certainty of it all. It's funny how it takes a traumatic situation such as the one I've been in to appreciate hardwork without worries. But I don't think I'll say that for long, considering how I've 5 essays to hand in, numerous journals, one presentation, and a whole lot of thinking and theorising to do this semester. It's going to be a deep semester ahead.

I've been starting to wonder whether studying abroad is actually better than staying here. It's always been an unfulfilled wish of mine to do so. New surroundings to see, new cultures to experience, new faces to know, living life independently and freely... But I've also come to appreciate the many benefits I've experienced as a local undergraduate. For one, the friendships I've made are so much deeper by virtue of the fact that almost everyone comes from similar backgrounds, and thus connection becomes far easier. Somehow a mutual friend always exists, especially if you belong to the same circle of schools. Of course, I'm not discounting the fact that cross-cultural friendships do take place, but it just takes more effort, that's all. The tutorials are generally localised too, and jokes bantered in class can only be understood if you're a local. Sometimes I feel slightly sorry for the overseas students in my class, whom Singaporeans generally not talk to unless there is a need. Perhaps it's our culture to keep to ourselves. Perhaps in other countries, the locals may be friendlier, I don't know. But in any case, I no longer bemoan the fact that I studied in Singapore. Quite glad I did, in some respects. It's the friendships that's making it worth while.

First book of Narnia done. Beautiful. On to my next. Can't wait.