Tuesday, September 19, 2006

what would i do without you, it?

I can't imagine a world without technology, as much as detractors may lambast its negative effects. Sure, it may draw people apart, especially if people just a few cubicles away send emails to each other instead of walking over, or a faceless chat on the screen becomes more appealing than catching up over the time-honoured telephone. But for people far apart, it is a whole world of difference (forgive the pun). Distances over air and sea no longer seem as daunting as before. Even the differences in time become insignificant in this spectrum of technology. And of course, the ease of research, the convenience of typing out notes instead of laboriously copying them from the whiteboard, and what better way to be a furtive voyeur than to read off your friends' activities on their public journals (I refuse to use the 'B' word).

I used to fervently endorse the case against technology for the damage it may do to the fabric of human society, but having experienced so tangibly the benefits that it has provided me, I cannot honestly say now that I am capable of surviving without it.