Monday, January 30, 2006

cny in m'sia

Just returned home from my traditional visit to malaysia over the chinese new year hols, as most of my paternal relatives stay there. I realised I never know what goes on in singapore on the first and second day of cny because as far back as my memory fetches me, I've been going to malaysia on these two days since the day I was born. :) But it's not a tradition I would give up anyway.

Unlike previous years, my family managed to do something more concrete and worthwhile during our stay this time.

1. In the evening of the first day, my family went down to the muar river to take a walk. On the way, we passed by a park that was literally over-swarmed with monkeys!

Yes, this is the bush where the most monkeys reside. Count and see how many you can find. :P

This is the Muar river. The building across it is the sultan's palace, although according to my dad, the sultan doesn't stay there half the time. Heh.

2. After we returned from the walk, I came home to a badminton net set up by my relatives! Immediately I seized upon the opportunity to play; heh, I didn't realised I missed it so much! :) Played with my cousin, who, born also in the year of the rat, is 12 years younger than me. And yet, he can hold a relatively consistent game with me. Amazing. :P But I won anyway, 15-7.

Yep, this was the sight that enticed me to play from 7pm till about 8pm, when it was almost completely dark, and my cousin and I had trouble even seeing where the shuttlecock was flying. :P

3. The next day, after breakfast, my family brought my sister to practise her driving. :) My uncle had a manual car, so we drove to a secluded area to let her drive to her heart's content. I had a turn at it as well, and I rediscovered my love for the shifting of the gears. Sigh. I so want to buy a manual car when I am able to. :)


The place that we drove to was a picturesque garden, with varieties of plants one can only find in books. My sis and I, taken at the top of a stack of huge rocks, and plants having young red leaves completing the picture.

It was in all, a nice relaxing holiday. Sigh. No more of that in sight in the days to come.