Saturday, April 15, 2006

break-time nonsense

Sigh, at the scarily slow pace I'm going at, it's going to take a gigantic miracle to complete my studying in time. I contemplated reading faster and skimming through, but decided against it as I realised it's only going to give me a false sense of security that my studying is complete when in reality, I haven't really understood the subject matter at all. But I do still wish to complete on time... Sigh. I'm distracted too easily.

I've come to appreciate the skill and dexterity required to skin a mango. After dinner, I lay the beautiful yellow mango on one hand and held the knife with the other. With brute force, I tried to wield the knife into the skin, but the skin wouldn't budge! The toughness of it just prevented the knife from seeping in, no matter how hard I tried. As one can imagine, when I made my first dent and sliced a slip of the skin off, more flesh than skin came off. My father decided to show me the proper way. But by then, it was too late. Layers and layers of flesh started peeling and the juice was dripping all over my hands. What was supposed to be a beautifully cut mango ended up as broken strips of yellow flesh with juice spilling all over. Sigh. My homemaking skills are deplorable.

Watched Alex & Emma earlier. It's a lovely story, with snippets of fantasy and reality intricately woven into a highly complex plot. The way the characters and elements inter-relate with one another is amazing. It stimulates my mind yet tugs at my heart strings at the same time. I felt so much for Emma... I equally enjoyed the beautiful descriptive words that were pouring from Alex's mouth. Such language is to die for. I've always been captivated by how words can be tightly stringed together to convey the meaning in the most effective manner. It connotes intelligence. And I have a weakness for intelligence...