Sunday, August 13, 2006

irrational vs rational irritation

I've a nagging suspicion that my pent up rage against particular persons does not come from God, yet I find it absolutely difficult to simply erase the annoyance caused by them. For someone who's remarkably tolerant and usually finding reasons to justify people's actions instead of passing judgment on them immediately, for them to create such a disturbance within my spirit truly takes the cake. I can actually count the few times I was genuinely irritated with someone because only drastic behaviours can ruffle my feathers. Often, I try not to associate myself with emotions such as irritation and anger, because they not only cause unnecessary pain and energy wasted, they are also unbecoming of a christian. And in any case, being the absolute logical me, I am able to frequently rationalise them away quite easily without much effort.

So right now I'm wondering, considering the fact that I'm already of such a serene nature (or so I like to think), do these drastic actions then justify for the way I feel? My instinct tells me the answer is still no. What then is the Godly solution? Because unpleasant thoughts still swim about, and I dislike it immensely.

Are emotions by definition irrational? Must I have a valid reason for feeling a particular way? Can someone actually argue (and convince me) why I should or shouldn't feel a particular way? Am I being irrational for feeling irritated? But if I feel love, would I still be labelled irrational? I guess only bad feelings need rationalising away because they make you feel uncomfortable, but good feelings don't, because they're inexplicably wonderful. Perhaps, perhaps, that's the real distinction. Emotions are, indeed, irrational, but only one set needs explanation.