Monday, July 23, 2007

my precious head

I haven't felt this relaxed in a long while. As much as I had mentally prepared myself for the transition from a studying routine to the working life, I think I may have made light of the process. I know this has been mentioned several times over, but I still can't get over the fact how a mere change as this could have such a tremendous impact on me. I've experienced a serious reduction of my mental capacity to think logically and rationally, a host of unpredictable emotional upheavals and a stress-induced lowering of my metabolic rate. While beginning plc has ameliorated the situation somewhat, I'm still experiencing the traumatic after-effects of it.

Perhaps the worst thing about work is not so much the cuffing of physical freedom but the imprisonment of one's thoughts to only the tasks at hand. I missed staring into space once in a while to daydream, to reflect, to think of theories and working it out in my head and see if it fits with reality... Such thoughts relax me, and when I'm relaxed, I think better, I'm more logical, and in turn, my emotions are more stable. Work simply does not permit me such luxury. Which is why I'm savouring every moment of my relaxed mental state right now, for I know in a few months' time, this will once again be taken away from me, and who knows when I can next regain my mental freedom.