Tuesday, July 10, 2007

an asian custom

Yay, work's finally over, for now, and studying begins yet again. After having been through a torturous 5 weeks of working experience, I begin to appreciate the lovelier aspects of studying - friends and freedom. :) Nevertheless, the paycheck one receives at the end of a month's work is equally satisfying. After getting a general consensus from my friends, and carefully deliberating how I ought to present it, today was the day I finally presented a portion of my salary to each of my parents. Never have I seen happier faces. My parents looked genuinely delighted to receive the sum that I gave them, even though it was peanuts compared to what they earned. But I guess it's not so much the amount that matters, but the thought of someone giving them a present (so to speak) and showing her heartfelt appreciation for all they have done. Perhaps that really was the clincher, the one that struck them the most. I'm glad I gave them. The look on their faces was pricelessly beautiful.