Saturday, June 16, 2007

reality bites

I feel it deeply stirring within me: something is wrong with this world. I never thought I'd say this but people do chase ephemeral dreams of wealth, power and fame, and essentially focus a hundred percent on themselves. The things I've been thought to reject - sins of selfishness, self-centeredness, insensitivity - are things I thought were commonsensical and would easily be understood by anyone with a quarter of a brain. But as reality pans out, there are a whole lot more of stupid people out there than I thought. People who don't see beyond their immediate circle, who live solely for themselves, who have total disregard for the wisdom behind certain administrative rules, who are always discussing the latest news of others, who are always trying to keep up with the Joneses. I don't know. Perhaps my secondary school friend was right. scgs was indeed sheltered with the most lovable friends one can find, so much so that scgs girls aren't prepared to face the harsh reality of selfish, unreflective people. So what do I do with reality now? Struggle against it? Oppose it? Try to change it? I am, but one girl, one person. Teach me how I should live.