Wednesday, April 25, 2007

painful massage

And so, sunday did turn out to be a day of rest. I had my virgin experience of a full-body massage, and let me tell you, it was no pampering experience. The masseuse was hammering the bones at each side of my upper back, trying to get rid of the apparent air bubbles trapped underneath it. The force applied was the hardest my body has ever taken! And I received the usual comment of how my back was very "ying" (hard). After the session was over, I saw the masseuse flicking her wrists vigorously. It was as if her hands had just been through some samsui-kind of a manual labour. As for me, pure pain and exhaustion was written all over my face. My friend who came with me commented that when both the masseuse and I walked out, the masseuse looked completely worn out and I was utterly dazed. Indeed I was. The pain in my bones took away every ounce of common sense in me. It persisted till yesterday and caused something which happens very rarely to me: moodiness. It was most unpleasant to feel upset and not know why. I blame the pain for taking away my precious rationality. Today was better. The pain ebbed and my mood was lifted. Perhaps this episode tells me that some bodies are not meant for the kind of luxurious pampering the world subscribes to. I don't think I can take another moody session.