Sunday, April 22, 2007

His ways are better

Irrational thoughts are overwhelming me tonight. To forgive is humanly irrational, but all-Godly rational. Perhaps it is only by denying our human tendencies and doing what God wants us to do despite our human-ness crying the other way will we see the logic behind God's rules. I believe all rules have a purpose (but whether the purpose is adequately served by those rules is a another matter). God's rules are indisputably perfect, but it's sometimes difficult to understand why they are the way they are, especially when they are so hard to follow. Looking at it rationally, however, it is precisely because they are not easy to follow that they are made rules (for if they are easily obeyed, we would not call them rules anymore, Romans 7:7, 12-13). From a faith perspective, I guess the only way to truly comprehend God's rules for us is to simply obey them. I may not understand why, but I trust God that His rules will work the best in me.

It's been a non-stop 9-day working stretch for me. I haven't had a day's rest to myself and my brain is well and truly loaded. I'm considering making tomorrow a real Sabbath, one that will allow me some time alone with a nice book which is non-law. Unfinished work scattered around my desk still scares me, but I think the decision to take a break needs to be made, well, at least for the afternoon. If I feel frantic enough, I may type a few notes at night. Sigh. It's going to take a lot of trust (and willpower) for me not to touch my notes tomorrow.