Thursday, April 12, 2007

pay rise

Inasmuch as the debate on the ministerial's pay increase is taking a beating from everyone, I must offer in humility, my sincerest and most honest opinion, that I think our prime minister is a very good man, and one of the best leaders you can find. From listening to his speech and observing how tactfully he handled the issue, I must say he's certainly very sensitive, a virtue that is not widely-common and something which I highly value. What makes him such a persuasive speaker is the fact that he's not immune to the emotional aspects of this issue. When he says things like, "Logically speaking, it's the right thing to do, but I know it's very hard for people to emotionally accept it (paraphrased).", you can't help but feel drawn to him because you know that he's actually listening to the protests and not dismissing them as irrelevant. And he takes the effort to address each and every one of them. The immensity of passion with which he spoke at parliament even earned a comment from my mom, "Why is he so emotional about this?" It's therefore quite hard to believe that the reasons he gave are merely justifications to increase their individual kitty. And he's backing it up with concrete actions as well, pledging to give his increase for the next 5 years to charitable causes. Living by the benefit of the doubt philosophy.