Friday, March 30, 2007

tomorrow is uncertain

Just a sudden attack at realising how unpredictable the future is. I hear stories of people losing their parents at a tender age, of break-ups occuring after a solid 4-5 years, of staunch christians losing their faith when power and money get to their heads... Somehow hearing these tragic stories opened my eyes to a world of unhappiness and grief. That truly we need God in our lives. We don't always understand the things that happened, and as we struggle through difficult periods, we will always ask God the inevitable question: why, why me? But through my experiences, I've come to know that God is real and I can always count on Him to bring me through life's darkest valleys. I know that given my obsessive need for order and certainty, I have a more-than-average desire for perfection in my life. And when things are not the way I want, I can be abnormally frustrated. But I've come to recognise that without these unpleasant experiences, I will never share the intimate relationship with God I now have. Holding His hand as I weather through life never felt more safe and secure. Indeed, life is such an unpredictable creature. I cannot imagine journeying it without Him. Guard my heart, God, and keep me close to You always.

James 4:13-16
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.