Thursday, August 16, 2007

general comments

Finally, one free day tomorrow! :) It's been a week of lectures and tutorials, and as usual the attendant stresses, but I've learnt to deal with it... by having a game of pool with my kakis. ;) It's incredible. Because the Supreme Court is so near town, the temptation to just head over to the nearest pool parlour for that indulgent hour is just too great to give up. And for two consecutive days, I've been immersing myself in the company of my pool kakis. I guess the effect is quite similar to sports - for the entire time, your mind ceases to think of anything else except the game at hand. You're really just all out to win, and the intense concentration on the game makes you forget about other stresses momentarily. It helps that this place I've been going to has the best table cloth and pool balls I've ever seen. Super smooth. Super beautiful. Sigh.

Strangely, as the work gets heavier, it doesn't necessarily get tougher. I mean, even though we are delving deeper into concepts and procedures, I think it's the conditioning of the mind to think in a particular manner that is helping us adjust to the study we're doing now. I'm slowly getting used to thinking administratively. Truly real work is big on logical details; abstract thinking is really left to academics, lecturers and philosophers. As much as I believe myself to be an admin person, I realised that this world has been around much longer than I have, and has already developed its own system of rules and procedures that are tried and tested. It would be rude to barge in with my own ideas on how things ought to be run. Instead, adherence is key to success, at least in the initial stages. For now, my job is to understand WHY it's the way it is.