Friday, July 27, 2007

changes are not bad

The biggest change I'm going through? Acknowledging the fact that people (and I) do change. And that changes aren't necessarily bad.

I guess having been through some bad patches in my younger and naive days, I've always thought I had seen the worst, and I've experienced the shittiest of times, and nothing could get any worse than what I've already been through. In that sense, I was (and still am, relatively) rather satisfied at the stage that I've reached - a general sense of comfortability with myself and who I grew to be. I thought that from now on, life would be smooth-sailing and any new circumstances thrown at me would be easily and readily handled by this confident stable me. Never did I expect myself to undergo even more changes. Mentally, practically, intellectually, emotionally. It came as a shock to me that instead of dealing with these new circumstances like the mature young adult I thought I was, these new circumstances had by contrast altered and forced this immature baby to grow up even more! In a sense, I felt stretched beyond what I thought were my limits. Admittedly, the initial pulling stage is rather unpleasant and at times sorely painful, but like the rubber band, when it reaches the stage where force is no longer needed to stay in that stretched position, it's when the going gets easier, I suppose. But yes, I've grown to appreciate the value of being stretched, of undergoing changes in my life. If I have to shoulder heavier responsibilities in future, the only way is for the rubber band in me to grow bigger to encompass these new things.

So yes, in an unprecedented moment of admission, I declare that changes are not necessarily bad. I would qualify however by stating that being unaware of the changes taking place in one's life is.