Friday, September 14, 2007

against all odds

Don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. - James 4:4

As my peers explore the adult world with me, it really tests the limits of this verse. This verse was so easy to follow when I was much younger, when all my friends were innocent and easily contented and the activities we engaged in were good, clean fun. But as we grow older, and start mixing with the older crowd, certain commodities or activities become (strangely) more highly sought after - appearance, people they know, amount of salary, material possessions, expensive food and wine, etc. Don't they know that no matter how much they hoard, they can never fill their insecurities with these? Don't they know that only their belief in their intrinsic value as a human being can sustain them forever, and everything else will turn to dust and be eaten by moths? I must admit, it's hard not to get caught up in a world where wealth is highly tagged to one's worth, but reading this verse gives me the strength to persevere.