Monday, October 24, 2005

clear cut line

Did you know? That so highly regarded is the legal professional privilege between a lawyer and an accused that even when the accused admits to having murdered the victim in question, the lawyer is not allowed to disclose this information to the court without his consent? However, the lawyer cannot then, having known this fact, explicitly say that the accused did not do it. Rather, he should bring up possible defences such as insanity.

Makes me think twice about going into this profession. There is so much conflict between ethics and professionalism, not to mention my personal beliefs and how this is going to further complicate matters. I always believed that right and wrong is pretty clear cut, and there should be no grey areas about it. Sometimes I knowingly do wrong things because I want to, but that doesn't change the fact that I believe there is still a clear line. Perhaps the lack of exposure in real working world has sustain me in my naivety. I've held this belief for as long as I can remember, and people in the past used to say that when I grow older, such a belief will bound to fade away. I'm already older, but the belief is still stuck with me. I can only hope that even when I start working, my mind will always be clear about what I'm doing, and not let the line between right and wrong diminish.