Sunday, October 23, 2005

highlights of the weekend

It's been a jam-packed weekend since Friday's small group. I don't even have time to get near the computer, let alone do any work. Reflecting back, however, it was a very good move to be away from my studies, and for once, I'm actually happy. Happy because I'm not alone, up on the third floor, staring at my laptop with hundreds of papers all over my desk; instead I'm out with friends, family, spending time with people and feeling the interaction of human warmth once more.

Interesting highlights:

Had a SMP (Student Mentorship Programme) meeting with the organisers on Saturday morning. We met at the Symphony Stage in Botanic Gardens and had a wild time playing games with the other schools' mentors. I think Twister and Ultimate frisbee really helped bond us. What with sticky bodies in close contact and running around to catch flying disc, it was simply hilarious. There was this particular game where we were interlinked with another partner through "rafia handcuffs", and were supposed to try and untangle ourselves. But even after the organisers gave us the answers, my partner D and myself were still stuck. No matter how closely we followed the instructions, we just became more entangled, to a certain point he even said, "That's it, I'm going to bring you home to see my parents!" I always knew him to be witty, but that was one of his best lines yet. Thankfully, we finally figured it out. :)

As I was giving some of my friends a lift after the event was over, one of my male friends commented that I drive like an "ah-lian" and said he's never seen a "zha bor drive like that before". Hm... I wonder if that is a compliment or cause for worry.

At night, I went to attend a friend's birthday party at East Coast Costa Sands Resort. I didn't drive there (had a lift from my father), so for the first time since forever, I actually took public transport back home. Heh, experiencing this with me were my two JC friends, who made constant jibing remarks about whether I could still navigate myself through the mrt system. I did deliberately stop to take in the experience of standing in a crowded mrt cabin and sitting in the sbs bus. I wanted to remember the moment because I know it will be a long while before I do so again. Man, do I sound pampered.

This morning, an intense discussion (more like debate actually) took place between the YA members based on Pastor Gordon's sermon. One camp believed that God has already chosen who He is going to save while the other took Pastor Gordon's view that it was up to us to accept God's invitation. Shall not open a can of worms here, but would just like to comment on the overall experience. So intense was our discussion that we stood at the concourse for over an hour before letting the matter rest. What I felt was good was that there was real live debate going on and serious exchange of issues and ideas, challenging us to think more deeply about what we truly believed in instead of just being confined to comfortable and familiar grounds. It is only through being exposed to different interpretations that we are able to articulate our beliefs more clearly. This is probably my virgin experience with such things because most of my christian friends generally hold the same views as I do, so room for further discussion is often blocked. Thus I did appreciate the experience greatly.