Thursday, October 27, 2005

"jokes are exaggerated truths"

Most people who would have read today's Life! quote sections would know that this quote was said by none other than Rowen Atkinson. It hit me deeply at how very true this statement is. People will often find things funny only if there is an element of truth in it. Be it a habit, an idiosyncrasy or even just a physical attribute. See how many jokes have been bantered by the English of the French, or by Malaysians of Singaporeans (this is just an observation, no assertion intended; sorry ah, must protect myself just in case). It is always an exaggeration of the truth, usually by a public demonstration, that gives it the tickling effect.

As a rule of thumb, I never make jokes about anybody of a characteristic which I know to be even remotely true. One, it is against my principles to make fun of somebody if his/her peculiarity cannot be helped. Two, if the person is around, imagine how he/she will feel. It takes a lot to refrain, especially if brilliant lines are already churning in my head. The only exceptions I abide by is 1) if it is a group of persons with the same characteristic and 2) if I know the person(s) is/are comfortable with it.

Then there are some jokes which are just plain bad, designed not even to make fun of you, but to simply demean you. Those seriously suck and people who make them ought to just kick themselves in the ass until they cannot go to toilet for a week.