Thursday, November 24, 2005

the coming of age

Every once in a while, I tend to forget that in relation to most people I know, I'm actually considered young.

I guess the things I do make me feel old. Things like being a facilitator in OC where I'm surrounded by younglings, being a mentor to my secondary school kid mentee, or simply just being a third year in uni, seeing fresh faces enter with enthusiasm and gusto that I now sorely lack. My parents are also beginning to treat me more and more like an adult (I think) because they often trust me with my actions and decisions, but continue to fuss around my little sister like a 6-year old. Just this evening at dinner, my sister was contemplating on what to do with her 6-month break and I suggested taking driving lessons. And immediately my father said, "No la, too young." He had never said that to me when I was her age. It just goes to show how both my parents have long treated me a lot older than I really am.

I grow up way too fast. It's not simply isolated to the things I do, but also to my thought process. I remember thinking rationally as a kid, as young as say, 4 years old. I would feel a certain way, but before I could act upon it, I always think to myself, is this how I ought to behave? Which was why I never asked for toys, because I always felt I was imposing on my parents, preferring them to buy things for me of their own accord instead. When my sister was born, it made things a whole lot easier; I simply asked my sister to ask my parents, and they often give in. Nah, I'm no angel. I clearly recall the times that I've been very naughty too, but that will be another story.

Point of the day: Age is no barrier to how you feel. In my case, no matter how young people say I am, I feel old. :(