Tuesday, November 22, 2005

thankful spirit

2 days have passed since the start of the exams, and 2 papers are down, with 2 more to go. :)

I guess with all my heart I should be thankful that despite being very unprepared for the past 2 papers, especially given the state of mind that I'm currently in, that God chose to save me from the clutches of "evil" failure and grant me the peace and serenity to do reasonably well, not forgetting relatively manageable papers too. I always leave the exam hall thinking to myself, how in the world did I manage to even survive that horror with such little preparation? It has truly been nothing short of a miracle.

On the upside, I am glad that exams have finally started, having had 3 long weeks before that doing absolutely nothing but just planning on what to cover the next day. It's not so much the time spent on studying, but also the energy and fatigue that accompanies it. Even playing in the midst of studying becomes a problem because I get so caught up with guilt whenever I think of everyone else at home diligently poring over their books. So with the advent of exams, so will the demise of exams arrive shortly after. :P

In other news. I just watched Extreme Japan earlier, and it was a most gruesome episode! Basically, as part of the extreme challenge, the hosts had to taste an exotic food. So first they ate some unknown meat, which all of them agreed was kinda rubbery. Then when they finally opened this box to reveal the kind of animal they just ate, horror upon horrors, it was an innocent tortoise! And that was not all. Later, they showed how the chef actually killed the tortoise. The tortoise is first laid on its back on the chopping board with its white underside exposed. Then the chef picked up the tortoise and made it "stand" vertically, picked up the knife and brutally slit the throat of tortoise, and let the blood drip into a cup. Gosh, it was so terrifying that I shed a tear. To see such a helpless animal being subjected to such brutality all for the sake of exotic cuisine was just too much to bear. I could understand why the producers had to put "at the viewers' discretion" before the show came on. Sigh. I know this doesn't just apply to tortoise but to all animals, and it really makes me wonder whether by eating meat, am I truly such a savage. Sigh. I guess what I don't see won't hurt me, so I shall live by that philosophy. :P