Wednesday, December 07, 2005

holidays flying by

Every holiday after the exams, my days are always astonishingly filled with activities; this is despite not having planned any at all before the exams. In the end, I always feel that my holidays are spent just doing more and more stuff instead of it being a time for me to relax and enjoy doing nothing. Going out with groups of friends not seen in ages, planning for trips, going for camps, etc. Sometimes I just wish I could stop all this onslaught of activities thrown at me and just feel free to do the stuff that I want rather than go with what people have already planned and trying to rope me in later.

One of the biggest event I'm looking forward to this month is my small group's christmas party! :) It's amazing how we managed to gel so well in such a short space of time (from july till now) in spite of not knowing the existence of each other before that! It helps when we are generally funny people, and how we can take each other's light-hearted comments with a pinch of salt :P; it helps that we are all sporty people and enjoy a good game of badminton every sunday after church; it helps that we all like to eat and make the effort to go for supper every friday after small group, and even if we don't eat, we can just bask in each other's company and enjoy the hilarious talks we always have; and most importantly, it helps that we are all eager to learn about God's word and engage in healthy intellectual debates week after week about what the Bible says. It's a small group truly worth treasuring.

It's going to be held at my place and we're going potluck! Woo hoo. Having seen what everyone's going to bring, I daresay that it's looking to be a supremely sumptous dinner. All the usual christmas food is going to be there - ham, turkey, log cake, cheese cake, mince pies, salads, wine, etc. It's a dinner worth looking forward to. I can't wait! I'm also thinking of how to decorate my home to make it look more christmassy, the kinds of music I should play, the way I should arrange the tables and chairs to make it welcoming and conducive for fun and laughter... What a lovely event to think about.

And this is also the year where all the 21st birthday parties keep popping up. I'm surprised that even though it's at the end of the year, I'm still receiving invites to these parties. Gosh, I've turned down so many throughout the year that I can't keep count. In this month alone, I've received 4 birthday invites. I guess I don't really mind attending them, but the thought of scratching my head to find a suitable gift seriously kills me. I've never been one to be good with presents, always preferring someone else to do the thinking and just chipping in. So, yes, my holidays are also spent trying to find presents. I've already made a list of all the presents I need to buy, which I will do so later.

Then there comes the christmas cards too. It's a tradition that I try to retain, because I feel that it is meaningful to let the person know you're still around (and alive) and pass on the little news about how you're doing, even if it's only on an annual basis. So my christmas cards tend to be lengthy while others merely have a "dear john, merry christmas. love, mary" that sorta thing. So this also means extra effort.

Yup, now I can clearly see where all my holidays have gone to.