Tuesday, February 14, 2006

catching up

It's finally over, and the rewards have been handsomely reaped. Truly it was quite an unforgettable experience, from the planning stage which culminated right up to its fruition. It's amazing how I survived the week.

It's back to immersing myself in work again. It's back to finding myself again. I haven't had a quiet moment to myself since in ages. So this week would be an opportune time for me to just pray and quietly reflect on my life.

On an upside, I met my group from my Int'l Corp Fin (ICF) class for the very first time today. And even though I joined them late, I could fit right in because they are such warm and friendly people. :) There are 3 foreign students in the group, all from the european countries, two of which are blonde, and the other a brunette. This is my first close encounter with int'l students in law school, and I must say it is quite an exciting experience. One of the blondes, Maxime, was simply hilarious. He wanted to get into the swing of Singapore life, so he made a conscious effort to use our lingo. Whenever anyone passed him something, he will go, "ok la." And it sounded so cute! He even told us that he bought a Mandarin cassette tape just so he could learn the language, and rattled off some numbers in Mandarin for us. We were all quite, quite impressed. Imagine, a foreign student dying to master the elusive Mandarin language, and here in Singapore (especially those from a certain school ;p) we bemoan and lament about the perils of learning the language, which is essentially our mother tongue. It is embarrassing, really. Not being able to speak your mother tongue well when people of other races can do better is nothing to laugh at. The 3 foreign students do provide good entertainment value, with their unique brand of humour and an influx of interesting ideas. I think I will like this group (crosses fingers).

Law Careers Fair is on this week. Various law firms displayed their claws as they pounced on us the moment we entered and eagerly tried to promote their pupillage programs to the year 3s. As my friend rightly puts it, "I feel like a piece of meat." But then again, he's a guy; he doesn't have the experience. Heh. I do have a few law firms in mind, but it's not I who choose them but they who choose me. Sigh. Just hoping to get an internship this coming hols before making my decision. Time truly flies. I'm going to start work in a year's time. I'm finally growing up.

To buck trends of all trends, I'm staying put at home tomorrow. I'm not sure whether it's out of rebellion, because frankly, I do feel sheer exhaustion from last week, mentally and physically, so my recuperation period is very precious to me. Plus, it'll be a good time alone with me and my books. I love having dates with my schoolwork.